Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A new start with all of our meals

In eliminating dairy and also avoiding meat, I have been trying to adopt a vegan diet.  That has been a struggle at times because my husband, even though he is extremely supportive, is having a harder time adjusting to the new foods I am trying to make.  However, this past week I feel like my vegan meals have been very successful!

For breakfast we usually have an all fruit smoothie or cooked millet with fresh fruit.  This is wonderful!  I wasn't sure how I would like the millet, but I think it taste better than cream of wheat or oatmeal.  We do have agave nectar on hand just in case things need to be sweetened up a bit. 

Another meal that is better for lunch time that I have really enjoyed are lettuce wraps.  All you do is cut up whatever veggies you want to have and wrap them up in a large piece of lettuce.  They are wonderful and so easy.  The only downside is if the lettuce is really crispy then it kind of falls apart. :.) But what can you do?

The meals I have made this past week for dinner have been:

Kale, Apples, and Potatoes



1 bunch of kale-rinsed off, destemmed, and chopped
2-3 potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
2-3 apples peeled, cored, and sliced
Half an onion
Juice of one lemon
Season with lemon pepper, garlic pepper and black pepper

Combine apples, potatoes, and onions in a large pan with some olive oil and the juice of one lemon.  Cook until almost done.  Then add the kale and rest of seasonings and cover.  Let the kale cook until wilted and soft.

I loved this dish!!!

Garden Vegetable Tomato Sauce


3 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 cups Yellow Squash, chopped
1 cup Red Onion, chopped
2 cups Eggplant, peeled, cubed, salted, placed in colander for 20 minutes, and rinsed
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Fennel Seed, crushed
1 cup Tomato, chopped
1 (28 ounces) can Crushed Tomatoes in Puree
2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
Cooked pasta, rice or couscous   Preparation:
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add yellow squash and red onion. Sauté 5 minutes.
3. Add eggplant and sauté 3 minutes.
4. Add minced garlic and fennel seed. Sauté 3 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomatoes, crushed tomatoes with liquid, and balsamic vinegar.
6. Stir well and simmer over low until heated through.
7. Serve over hot pasta, rice, or couscous. 

We actually ate this over quinoa and it was great.  
Acorn Squash and Baked Apple Soup


1 acorn squash
2 apples
1/2 onion chopped
1 clove of minced garlic
2 tsp. minced ginger
3-4 c. vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste

Half and core the squash and apples, but to not remove the skin. Bake the squash and apples upside down in a pan with 1/4 inch of water and bake for 35-40 min. at 400 degrees. When they are fully cooked and cooled remove from the skins and put in to blender.  Saute the onion in a little olive oil and then add to the blender as well.  Blend adding vegetable broth until you have reached desired consistency. Then put into a pot and bring to a boil adding more vegetable broth if needed as well as the garlic and ginger.

When I made this I ended up adding some cooked carrots and sweet red peppers.  We also topped it with fresh parsley and added some cubed avocado.  Mmmmmm! It turned out great and is one of my husbands favorite things I have made so far.

I love trying new healthy recipes, especially when turn out the way I want them to.  It is a hard thing to go from eating dairy, meat, lots of fat and sugar to having none of those and eating mainly fruits and vegetables with some grains, seeds, and nuts thrown in here and there.  My body has had to adjust to the new palette of flavors, but I am really learning to love them.  And I feel great compared to how I used to feel. Like I said before, I still crave these things and I am sure it is going to take several more months before the cravings subside, but one step at a time I know I can do it!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go on being healthy Aleesha and Cam! It's certainly a process (sometimes fun and sometimes not so tasty :) learning and becoming more healthy. We've majorly cut down on dairy, but I still have butter and cheese around. Brian is totally addicted to cheese. Anyway, I look forward to seeing the kind of stuff you are learning. I'll have to try that Acorn soup recipe. By the way, did you take the pictures? They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Kira, I wish I could say I took those pictures. They were the pictures next to the recipes that I found. Cam isn't quite as dedicated with his diet as I am trying to be so he still loves to eat cheese and butter too. But he is realizing that it makes him feel kind of sick afterward. So we are making progress. :.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job Aleesha! THere is this GREAT vegan blog, that I take a gander to every now and then. Don't know the name yet..not at my computer. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete