Thursday, October 7, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness


Since it is breast cancer awareness month I thought this was very fitting. 

The section in The China Study that I read last night was all about breast cancer and how diet can help women avoid it.  Breast cancer is something I don't feel very informed on but I did learn a lot in my reading last night.  One thing that I found interesting is that breast cancer is most often occurring because of high amounts of excess estrogen in the body.  I thought that the main reason women got this cancer was because of a family history of it but, come to find out, only a very small percentage is actually due to genetics.  Some studies show even as low as 3%.  This shocked me!  One of the main drugs prescribed to help the prevention of this cancer is called tamoxifen.  This drug is considered an anti-estrogen drug.  One of the main ways doctors are trying to help prevent (other than screenings) is through lowering estrogen levels.  There is one problem though.  The long-term effects of this drug is unclear and in taking it a person runs the risk of stroke, uterine cancer, cataracts, deep vein thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism.  I don't even know what some of that stuff is but it sure doesn't sound good.  I guess though if you are that concerned about getting breast cancer (and because it is such a rampant disease I can understand why so many women are) it might be worth it to take a medication like this and hope for the best. 

After explaining about this drug and the possible side effects of it and other drugs like it, Dr. Campbell makes an interesting and extremely valid point.  He says, "My question is quite simple: why don't we ask why estrogen is so high in the first place, and once we recognize its nutritional origin, why don't we then correct that cause?  We now have enough information to show that a diet low in animal-based protein, low in fat, and high in whole plant foods will reduce estrogen levels.  Instead of suggesting dietary change as a solution, we spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing and publicizing a drug that may or may not work and that almost certainly will have unintended side effects."  And I might add, will probably cost a fortune too, like almost all "good" drugs do.

It is fascinating that something so simple like changing our diet can make such a huge impact on our lives.  Not only physically, but emotionally and economically as well.  Notice I didn't say it was an easy change, but it is a simple one.  Over time I hope it continues to get easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment